Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Star Struck...

2/18/13: This week has been crazy good. As you know, we met with Elder David A. Bednar. Awesome. Yeah, I shook his hand. When Rachel sees a JoBro -- That was me. I think I almost fainted. haha jk. (Note from Dan's Mom: for those of you who don't get that last thought, sorry -- for those of you who do get that line, ROTFL)....  But really though, it was the most spiritual experience of my life. So cool. No words really can describe. The neatest thing was that my testimony in Jesus Christ grew just by looking at the guy. I don't know why but it did. It's like I could see him dressed in a robe walking next to Jesus. Neat, neat, neat. I'm so blessed to have been able to experience that.

You asked, Mom, if that was the spiritual food I needed? Are you kidding? That was the spiritual buffet my spiritual sumo wrestler needed!

Well everything else that was good that happened this week pales in comparison. haha

I really have been blessed with this new companion. There is something different about the feeling of missionary work with the old guy and now with this elder (besides the fact that we didn't do much before). I love it now. I WANT to do it now. And the "world" isn't getting in the way. I don't care for all the worldly things. I mean I still do, but less of it. And I'm working on getting better. I don't worry about it as much. My priorities have changed and I love being out on a mission. Not because I'm out on my own and I have "freedom" like I felt before, but because I have such a special opportunity to share the most wonderful thing in the world with people. I wish I was one of those who could express themselves through words cause I want you to know how awesome it really has been and the change I've felt in my heart and in my soul.

Before I forget. Thank you so much for the Valentine's package! Wow. I didn't think that I would get all that stuff! I'm so blessed! The shirt! Momma, I love it! But what the heck?! How am I supposed to beat that??? Geez! Check mate! (Note from Dan's Mom: family inside joke)

I almost cried when I saw the GPS. I can't believe Bekkah and Jonny would sacrifice something like that just for me. I'm trying to figure out how to thank them.

Anyway, It really was a great package. Thanks for the deodorant. haha. It may be old and it may not even be mine but it'll do the trick. haha. (Note from Dan's Mom: Thought I sent him new deodorant, but apparently somehow an old stick of Sam's deodorant got put in his package - ha ha)

My cleats, I was so stoked about. I love the feel of them so much that I wear them to bed.

So I don't know if it happened this week or last but I was looking through the area book and found a referral from 2010. We decided to go see if we could find it and lo and behold, the person still lived there, was excited to see us, and is having us back this Saturday. Yay referrals!

I also had the idea to get the Branch list (sounds funny compared to Ward list) and to meet with the members to go over each name and see what the deal was with less actives and who they were and to then go visit them. It's gonna be great. We are meeting with one of the old Branch Presidents on Wednesday.

Everything keeps getting better. (We even are getting an exterminator to come out for the bugs and mice on Thursday!) I just am kinda scared cause everything is so good that I don't wanna fall again. I'll keep doin my best and trying each day to continue to improve. I'm so blessed to be out here. Scared at times when it's darker outside and there are a bunch of black people but I really am enjoying it. I still have tons to work on and because I know that it helps to humble me. This whole mission experience is doin a pretty darn good job at it.

I love you guys and thank y'all for your support. It really has made the difference.

Much love

-Elder Daniel Charles Wheatley

2/11/13: So everything is going awesome! I got a new companion on Wednesday. Great missionary. He's teaching me things that I should've learned three months ago! It has been so great these last few days. A lot more spiritual. My perception about missionary work and being a missionary has changed SO much! I'm gettin it now. For the first time since i've gotten here I didn't think about home for a whole day like I had done every single day before. The spirit has been so strong and we are working with haste. No more lazying around and relaxing at people's houses for hours on end. We get in and get out. I love it! I prayed to Heavenly Father that I might get a companion who is chill and patient but wants to work and will lead me to becoming better. And that is exactly what I got! We are doing what is right and I just feel so much better about myself and about how the work in Arkadelphia is going to progress.

We went to the John's for dinner the other night and instead of just eating, layin around, playin games, and then leaving to do whatever-- during dinner we talked about the branch, who we could see to try to bring back, we talked about what we can do and about what they can do, etc. And after dinner they even took us down to a little old lady's house and we met and talked with her for a little while. Lo and behold... New Investigator!

We even were able to get a real, full lesson in with Vivian and, even though she said she wouldn't, she "got bored," and came to church! I never would have thought, I knew rather, that she would never even have the patience to sit down and listen to what we have to say before. But the other night, when we were at the Lambert's, were we normally just stay there the whole night, my companion hinted to me that we should probably get going, and because we left we were able to get ahold of a guy that we haven't been able to get ahold of ever and we got a return appointment and we were able to go get that lesson in with Vivian. <-- Run-on sentence but I don't care cause i'm just that excited!

I guess I should tell you who he is. Elder Michael Kowalk from South Jordan. He was Elder Draper's trainer and Elder Draper is already training-- So what does that tell ya?

The first thing we did when we got back to Arkadelphia was clean the entire house.  And you know what? It helps so much to live in a clean house. My anxiety has gone down so much and I just feel at peace. It is clean and I feel like it's a place that representatives of Jesus Christ can live in.

I am one happy missionary.

-Elder Bubba

p.s. Momma, you're gonna love this. There are some people out here that are trying to get food storage together and have asked my help because I talk about you and ya. So if it's possible, could you get me a list of what you need for a 72 hour kit, to a 3 month supply, to a year supply. What brands, where to get things, pics of our food storage for examples, etc. I know that's A TON to ask for but there are some people who are really excited. I have this feeling that one of the reasons I was sent hear was to help people get their food storage ready. I know that sounds stupid but it's what I feel. I was SO suprised at how much information I was able to spit out. I guess I did learn something. And it's exciting. I just wish I would've learned more. There are a lot of things that I wish I would've listen to you more about. haha. One of which is working in the community garden. Oh the fun wake-up calls you get on your mission right?

What was that stuff we sprayed on the melons when they started getting that white stuff? Was it a Vinegar and water mix?

if anybody asks.... I love Burger King gift cards. just sayin. We get coupons sent to our house! Coupons like KOO-pons, Not Q-pons ;) haha.... I also need to WARSH the car! ahaha

I had a list of things to ask you about but I forgot and i'll probably remember when I get off.

2/4/13: Well just a quick update this week. We have so much to do today in getting Elder Flores prepared to leave. He got the transfer call this morning. I'm gonna be taking over Arkadelphia. Prez promised me a really good follow-up trainer. Can't wait. Elder Flores has been showing me around and taking me to see people WAY out in the boonies and just getting to know everyone I haven't met yet.

It is sure gonna be nice to have a fresh start but in a familiar place so that it's not too overwhelming.

We were supposed to have Branch Conference yesterday at 1:30 but one of the Bishops in a different ward's daughter got hit and killed while riding her bike on her mission. So sad. People looked at the "bright side" and said stuff like, "at least she's going to the celestial kingdom because she was on her mission." Well I thought to myself that that's not necessarily true. Just because she's on a mission doesn't mean she was doing the right things. Which then made me think about whether or not I was doing the right things. So it was a real eye opener. I need to continually check myself even if last week seemed so good. I can't let myself relax and have the possibility of sliding back down again.

So one kinda sad but happy thing did happen this week. John (a golden investigator) finally left Vivian and moved back down to Texas. It's sad because he really did feel the spirit last week at church and he wanted to go back to church with us again yesterday (he left saturday night). But it's happy because Vivian really is a pain in the butt to live with and treats him like scrud and is verbally abusive. I'm very proud of him. I hope he is able to find a church in texas.

Well I gotta run.

I love you so much!

-Elder getting fat like a real, Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment