Saturday, March 9, 2013

Happy New Year - 2013 Begins!

1/7/13:  It's been a real up and down week. It's been good to me cause i'm trying to get better and the Lord is helpin me along the way. But what stinks is that our top investigator, Jennifer, returned her "Mormon bible" and told Sister Bazzel she doesn't want to talk with us anymore. Man.

She was SO promising. I knew she was gonna be baptized. She was gonna be MY first baptism. I felt such a real connection with her. The spirit was always so strong in our lessons. She always called Sister Bazzel to read the Book of Mormon and ask questions over the phone. I don't get it.

Also another one of our investigators, April, who was kinda gettin shady, told us through her kids that she never wanted to see us again. My feelings are just all outta wack.

Welcome to the field, right? This bites.
 
I do have to tell you one thing. I bore my testimony yesterday. One of our recent converts made a deal with me that if I go up, she'd go up. I'm really glad I went up. It was a very spiritual testimony meeting. Did I ever tell you about Sharon? She's a neat lady. Crazy. But I love her. And i'm glad I had her to make me go up.
 
People blame me for the freak snowstorm we got... NO JOKE!  But I don't care because it's SNOW! 
 
1/14/13: I really have taken everything to heart and started to, "Do Work." In fact, the other day I took a few hours and contacted every, single referral I could find in the phone, the area book, and the referrals we get in the mail that are scattered all around the house. I then made a list of all the names and all the information I had of them and all that jazz. Now it feels like all my ducks are in a row and everything is running smoothly.
Well Prez also talked to my companion and told him that he was going to be transferred and that he needed me to train soon so to accelerated his training. I am happy to say that he really has stepped it up and things are really looking up. We've been doing actual missionary work for the first time since i've got here.
Amazing how prayers work and how things can change within one weeks time.
 
So I have a couple fun stories.....
On Tuesday after district meeting we went on an exchange with the Hot Springs elders. I went up to Hot Springs with Elder Jacobson. Cool guy. He's from Orem. Well that night we went to the gas station to fill up the car. It was only like 6 pm but it was dark already. We were both standing outside the car when this really shady, really scary, gangster looking, black guy approached us. Almost sounding upset he began to tell us this story about how a couple months ago he asked two of our guys, with black hair, that were dressed like us, driving this same car for a ride. They said they couldn't give other people rides.
After asking his name I said, "That's right, Trey, we aren't aloud to give other people rides."
Well he then told us about how, he didn't do it and didn't want to go back to jail.
At that point he turned his head and I noticed the tattooed tear drop under his eye. Seeing this, along with noticing his growing more and more upset, is when I started to shake in my Sunday shoes. He asked if we could give him some money, if we, "really are people of the Lord."
"Missionaries don't carry much money, Trey. All I have is like 2 cents."
"That'll do," he responded extending his cupped hand towards me.
In my mind I froze. I did have 2 cents, but it was in the same pocket as my $18. As I reached for the pennies I prayed that the bills wouldn't come falling to the ground as I pulled out my hand.
Thankfully they didn't.
But soon as I thought we were in the clear, Trey stopped in thought and then said, "Wait. How did you pay for the gas?"
The gas card. We explainded it only works for buying gas after he asked us if he could use the, what he thought to be a normal credit card, to buy some chips. His next question, or demand rather, "Buy me some gas then."
Thank goodness I can talk my way out of things.
I ended up asking him, "You wanna pray? That's all we can do."
He again extended his hands, one towards me and the other to Elder Jacobson. "Alright. Let's pray." The funniest/ kinda sketchy part-- Trey looked at Jacobson and with demand in his eyes said, "Bow yo head." I was already bowin with my eyes closed. Kinda stupid to close my eyes but that's what I did. I did, though, make sure I had his hand tight in mine as to make sure he made no sudden movements.
He gave the prayer and it was kinda crazy. He prayed again about how he didn't do it and please allow the judge to have mercy.
We then got in our car with a, "God Bless!" And got the HECK outta there!
One word, SKETCHY.
 
1/21/13: We went over to Jennifer's house. the one who returned the "Mormon bible" to Sister Bazzel and asked if she could tell us not to come over again.
Well, I convinced her to let us come in and talk about it only once. She allowed us to come in and we talked about what she was feeling. She told us that she hadn't read the chapter we gave her to read but she prayed and that she got her answer to keep attending 1st Baptist in a dream. Right then I actually used an analogy about the book of Mormon and basketball. Turns out she actually used to play basketball. It worked and she told us that she'd give us a second chance and continue to pray for a second witness. sorry for the brevity of the story but it would take forever to type what I actually said.
Here is an email I (Dan's mom) received from Bridgett, one of the people out in Arkansas:
 
. I know it's hard to be away from your family during the holidays for the first time. I never knew how much a young adult could eat. I'll have to remember that for when all my kids are teenagers. My kids love him to pieces. He jokes about coming back and being our babysitter as long as we feed him. I told him he would die if he had to truly watch them. They are 5yrs, 4yrs, 1yr, and 3months. Way more than a guy needs to handle. He has such a sense of humor on him. He talks very highly of you all. His testimonies are so touching when he speaks of you all. We encourage him to keep moving forward on his mission. I'm so proud of him for coming and serving to those who need to hear the messages they bring. If it wasn't for the missionaries coming to my parents we probably wouldn't be in the church today. It will be the hardest thing to let my children go on their missions. I hope to have the strength as you did for my kids. Love, The Johns Family
 
 
 
1/28/13:  So this week has been great. We really hit the ground runnin. We worked HARD! I woke up EVERY morning ON TIME to go workout. And the best part-- I felt wide awake. I wasn't groggy. I was ready to get to work! Amazing what prayer can do. I was praying so hard for the energy. And the drive and energy never subsided. Because of this, we had the best numbers yet.
Sunday was by far the best day on the mission. Three investigators showed up to church! 3! John and Vivian and none other than Bro. Bill! We never would've thought John or Vivian would ever come to church. They weren't even interested in the lessons. The only reason we know them is because Sharon (a recent convert) is Vivian's mom. John is Vivian's boyfriend.
John calls himself an athiest only because his Grandma "shoved religion down his throat." But he came. And he said he actually liked it. The best thing... he heard an apostle was coming down and said, "Wait. There are still apostles on earth?" Holy cow. You don't know the joy I felt when I heard that. Can't wait to further explain everything. I think he would now be interested in the lessons. He even wants to go listen to the apostle! How cool is that?
(David A. Bednar is coming to town! Woot-woot!)
I started this new thing two weeks ago at church where before church starts I go around to as many people as I can and shake their hand and talk with them and see how they are doin. All with a big smile on my face of course. It makes my day go better and starts out my week really good. I feel more connected with everyone there now. Just being friendly Dan is all I needed to be in the first place. It's really worked out well. I enjoy it. I think they do too. We have also received a bunch more referrals lately, when before we never had any, and I think that's why.
I'm super excited about getting out there and working. My comp is also working hard now because he doesn't want to leave me here in Arkadelphia with nothing. So he's showin me everyone he had kinda kept hidden, for some reason, from me. I think it's funny that now he is workin hard rather than before but I'm not complaining! We're actually working. Not being lazy or apathetic. I love it. Dang. Before it was like, I can feel your prayers helping me trying to feel better but I was still kinda depressed. But now it's like, Yes! And I take those powers and I'm a machine. I don't know if that makes sense. All I know is that I'm happy now in a different way. Before-- I felt happy, but it was a worldly happy. Now I feel a different, fulfilling kind of happy. Like a, "I'm doin what I'm supposed to and Heavenly Father is blessing me" kind of happy! I like this one a lot more.
I know it's kind of cliche but if you are doing all you can. Really, ALL you can. Heavenly Father will bless you so much! I know this to be true. I know that the power of prayer is crazy real. I also know that it doesn't matter how stupid you've been in the past-- You CAN make a turn-around. I know it because it has happened this week. I love my Father in Heaven and I know no matter what your past is like he will forgive you and help you make that 180. We have this special thing that His son did for us. It allows us to be forgiven and puts us on that path to make that change. How wonderful huh? I am a living testament of this. If I can, you can. I just wanted to bare that witness to you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment