Thursday, March 7, 2013

Backwards in time... October and November 2012

Going back to Dan's first days and weeks in in the MTC and back then, he wrote "snippets" instead of "letters" so that is what I will do here as well:

Dan entered the MTC on October 23, 2012.  His first "email" was written on 10/31/12 (Halloween):

10/31/12:   "Well, it's been a week.... I guess that's how I can describe my experience so far.  It's been tough.  To be honest there was a time when I highly considered coming home.  But I remembered what Ty (Asay) said... Just make it to Sunday.  Sunday really saved me.  The MTC fireside was great.  It's still hard though.  I realized that I don't know as much as I thought I did about the gospel."

"It felt like college that first two days, then it got overwhelming...maybe that's what college is like. ha ha"

11/7/12: "Well, it has been SO much better over here.  I am learning tons and I've never felt so close to my Savior."

"The food isn't bad at all.  Buffet style all three meals is what's bad.  I have probably gained 5+ pounds.  Maybe... maybe not, but it sure feels like it.   We went to the temple today (my favorite place in the world).  After, we went down to eat at the cafeteria.  Second best food in the world next to my momma's!  I got one of everything and nobody thought I could finish it. But guess what?  I DID!  Now one of the Elders owes me a drink.  He put up 20 bucks but I didn't want to take 20 bucks from him so he just owes me a drink now."

"I want to thank you for your sacrifice.  I love this opportunity and will do the best I possibly can."

IN ARKADELPHIA:

11/14/12: "I'm in Arkadelphia!  It's really ghetto and my house is nasty smelly and dirty.  Believe it or not, because I can't stand it, I'm gonna clean the whole house on p-day.  I'm gonna spend some of my funds on cleaning supplies.  It's worth it.  It was crazy going directly to the store before I even got to the house and told to grab what I need for the week.  I'll be living off of cereal, burritos, bananas, and PB&J this week.  First thing I bought though...toilet paper.  It's crazy that I need to buy everything like that.  I have a huge running list of things I need.  Real good. Real life experience.  Things are great though."

 
Brother Bill
President and Sister Peterson - First day in Mission Home
"The people here are awesome.  Really illiterate and uneducated but really cool.  One guy we call Brother Bill has been an investigator for 10 years.  We just go over and read the Book of Mormon with him.  They've gotten all the way to Enos with him.  He doesn't understand anything.  We just read with him.  Good guy.  Typical black man that talks funny.  I love him already. I'm doing great and just wanted to let you know I love you more!"

"There's a Hatfields and McCoys going on around here if you know what I mean.  It's crazy.  You have to be very careful who you talk about when others are around."
In front of the mission home
Trainer, Elder Flores from Lemoore, California
"My companion is Elder Flores from California.  This is his first time training but he was just the Zone Leader.  Now he's the District Leader."

"We don't have anything!  So pancake mix would be useless.  Send a dishwasher!  We don't have one! :( I've been humbled."

11/19/12:  "Well things have been good here.  The house is still nasty and smells so ranky-stank!  But hopefully I'll be able to change that thanks to you Momma!"


The Ranky Stank Bathtub when Elder Dan arrived
"Things are a bit different from what I expected.  We don't really go tracting.  We get referrals and go from there.  I like this area though because we have a few families that like to have us over in the evenings for dinner.  It really makes it easier knowing that they are there.  All of them are awesome.  Last night we went over to Doug and Bridget's for dinner.  They are in the middle of nowhere so it's kinda fun.  You can be as loud a you want.  We sat around the campfire all night and roasted up hot dogs and smores.  We poured chili and cheese over our dogs.  So good!  Then "the kids" shot off fireworks!  That's the way I imagine my life when I'm grown up.  A big ole campfire to sit around, talkin with friends and eatin the American way!"
Arriving missionaries with the Mission President and Wife
 

"The work is fun though.  I enjoy it.  To this point I haven't felt homesick at all.  I like it.  I just miss the comforts of home.  A clean house and especially my Momma's cookin'!"








"I love you MORE than a clean, bugless house Momma!  And that's sayin' somethin'!"























11/26/12: "Since we're broke we're gonna catch a squirrel for supper.  I bought myself a lil crockpot and my companion is gonna teach me how to build a trap and skin the critter.  Yeah buddy....that's how we do it in the south..."


He wasn't kiddin.....

 "I can't wait to tell you all my stories when I get back.  It's only been 2 weeks but I could write a book.  I can't write them in my journal cuz I don't have enough time but as long as I don't have another head injury, I won't forget them!"

Elder Cowboy... hat from Doug and Bridget


Well, that gets us through November 2012.  Next installment will be the month of December....by weekend's end, I hope to be caught up.... It is a little more difficult than posting his sister Rachel's emails because Rachel writes an entire letter that she wants posted as her "journal" and Dan's letter is intermixed with writings to his family.... so I have to retype these. 

Until the December posts....





No comments:

Post a Comment