Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What works for one team may not work for the other

I have learned on my mission that if you HAVE to do something, you might as well make it fun. Even if you don't wanna be there. So, I hope you had a blast spending some quality one-on-one time with Rach.

This week was slower but it was still very good and fulfilling. I wish it was exciting 24/7 but sometimes you just gotta put your head down and work. I enjoyed every moment.

I love how the Lord gives us things that, in the moment, seem to impede our progress but is actually for our benefit. The other day I got sick to my stomach suddenly and had to go in and rest for 30 minutes. I was upset because I thought it was just my mind telling me that I really didn't want to go work. Turns out that as soon as we were able to leave again we met someone that was JUST pulling up to their house for a split second to grab something and then to leave again. We were able to meet with them and you could tell that they really needed it. I've learned a lot this week about keeping a positive attitude and looking for the silver lining. Another instance, on Wednesday, when we went to go contact a guy that we met on the streets down in England last week, he doesn't live at the address he gave us but we asked the lady if we could teach her and she readily agreed. That's why we met that guy on the streets. Cause where she lives... I would've never walked through that neighborhood otherwise. She lives in a cul-de-sac of nice houses deep in a very underprivileged neigbhorhood. It's funny.

Oh. Also, I felt extremely compelled to go check on this lady right before we headed out of town and it was exactly what she needed. She was in an extreme slump because she's getting old and had to put her husband in the nursing home for a month while he recovered from foot surgery cause she can't take care of him herself. The event just gave her a very bleak hope and premonition for the future when they do get too old to take care of each other.

I know this gospel can raise spirits and bring people to their full potential. Sometimes I hate agency because I know some people know that what we're teaching them is true but they are too scared of what the world thinks.

I love missionary work because it is like a basketball game. The concept is always the same-- In basketball it's get the ball, score, and stop the other team. In missionary work it's find, teach, and baptize. But just like basketball you can't use the same plays every time. You gotta mix it up. What works for one team may not work for the other. That is why I love missionary work. You gotta read the defense and find the play that's gonna work. Each game is different and you gotta practice everyday if you want to have any shot at the constantly improving opponent.

Just rambling on.
Well, I love you MORE!


-Elder Wheatley

No comments:

Post a Comment