Monday, April 28, 2014

We were swallowed up in the joy of Christ

Last week was a very difficult time for me; for nothing seemed to be going right. I was in a rut, I was tired, we couldn't find anyone to teach, I had no desire even though I really wanted to gain one, and against my own will the thought of going home in six months kept popping into my mind and racked me with home sickness. It was the first time, I think, on my mission that I could actually say that I felt home sick. I didn't want those thoughts! I didn't want to facilitate them. They just kept coming. I was praying SO hard even fasting that Heavenly Father would take them away and help me focus and regain that desire and the determination that stems from it.

Lately I've been fascinated with the book, Jesus the Christ. What I had been going through this last week, mirrored, almost exactly to what He went through during the early part of His ministry. Ultimately, when hope seemed grim and no success was eminent, He pressed on. From Friday morning (Good Friday) through Sunday I felt the Spirit so incredibly strong. It was almost overwhelming. All I wanted to do all day Easter Sunday was testify that He lives! The feelings were never fully alleviated, but just like the Nephites in the Book of Mormon, I was strengthened so that I could bear those burdens.

I think this talk from Elder Bednar explains it best:

In verse 33 of Alma 31, "Alma prays that his missionary companions will receive a similar blessing: “Wilt thou grant unto them that they may have strength, that they may bear their afflictions which shall come upon them because of the iniquities of this people”

"Alma did not pray to have his afflictions removed. He knew he was an agent of the Lord, and he prayed for the power to act and affect his situation.

"The key point of this example is contained in the final verse, Alma 31:38: “Yea, and he also gave them strength, that they should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ."

In the midst of a very hard time, my afflictions "were swallowed up in the joy of Christ," and it truly was a Happy Easter.


-Elder Wheatley

No comments:

Post a Comment